I think everyone is aware of what is happening in Australia at the moment. It is actually very difficult to realize the scale of the bushfires so let's put things in perspective:
- About 18 millions acres have burned so far. This is equivalent to the size of Ireland
- About 500 million animals have died. This is equivalent to the population of Brazil & USA combined
- A third of the koala population in NSW have been killed
- More than 2,500 firefighters are battling the blazes...
I lived in Australia for a total of 15 months all combined and it is one of my favorite places in the world. We had actually planned to settle down there for long term.
But something triggered me even more this morning. As I was playing with my 15 month old daughter, I saw her giving a huge cuddle to a little koala soft toy that I had brought her back from one of my trips (as you can guess, photo of Koko the Koala above). From there, it all went fast & furious in my mind: What if she never has the opportunity to see a real koala? That idea froze my blood and made me sick to my stomach. I cannot sit still and do nothing.
As a family, we have decided to do our little contribution and we'd love to invite you to do the same. There are plenty of associations out there where you can directly give donations for firefighters, families or animals. We have chosen to support the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital and we have "adopted" a Koala named Hockey Luna.
So, in order to support Australia, I'd like to start a fundraising, all donations will be equally split between:
- Port Macquarie Koala Hospital: To support the installation of automatic drinking stations for animals as well as the Wild Koala Breeding Program